A life-story that changed my world.
IT START WITH -
The New Generation Vocalist .
There was a time when singers used to be good singers, but without any exposure to the wider world around them. Female vocalists were rare to find. Fortunately, for Indian Classical Music, that condition has changed. Today we come across a smarter generation of artistes; modern in appearance, broader in outlook, dedicated to art, culturally awake, socially aware and so on! One such female vocalist is Dr. Kasturi Paigude.
Kasturi is a disciple of the renowned vocalist Mrs. Arati Ankalikar-Tikekar. Under her watchful eyes and systematic training, Kasturi has matured into a confident singer with a well-seasoned melodious voice, aesthetic renditions of different Raag structures, a good command of different musical embellishments like gamaks, taans, meends, etc. Along with Khayals, Kasturi is at ease with light musical genres like Dadras, Bhajans etc. as well. She has featured in a number of stage programmes and recordings in and around Pune and her performances have been appreciated on many music platforms.
Kasturi has completed her Ph.D in music from Savitribai Phule Pune University. She also holds a M.A. (Music) with first class from the Centre for Performing Arts, University of Pune, ‘Visharad’ in music with distinction, awarded by the Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya and B.A. in English Literature, from the University of Pune.
Kasturi has two research papers on music published in internationally refereed journals. She received the Junior Fellowship for research in music from CCRT, Ministry of Culture (2014-2016) for two years. She was the recipient of merit scholarships for her higher studies, from reputed organizations like Lila Poonawalla Foundation, Bhogate Trust, Maharashtra Executor Society’s Bank of Maharashtra Scholarship.
She has recorded her voice for album ‘Mi Premika'(an album of 8 marathi love songs). The songs are written and composed by Abhijit Kumbhar.
Projects and Publications
- ‘Suchintan’ – Conducted Indian Classical music introductory and advanced workshops for students and grown ups in India and USA.
- ‘Mi Premika’ – recorded a commercial love songs album produced by Akaanksha Creations.
- Worked as a cultural consultant for Kaveri Group of Institutes, Pune.
- Research paper 1 – ‘Composing inclinations of Jagannathbua Purohit, Dinkar Kaikini and Prabha Atre in raga Bageshree- Analytical approach’, published by International refereed research journal- Research Rival, Haryana,Vol.1, Issue.1, ISSN 2456-1096.
- Research paper 2 – ‘Empirical approach of Statistical analysis for musical compositions by Prabha Atre in raga Lalit’, published by International refereed research journal – Aarya, Rohatak, Vol.11, ISSN 2348-876X.
- Comparative study of contemporary guru shishyas of Agra Gharana (dissertation at Centre for Performing Arts, University of Pune)
- Article on ‘Concept of Bandish in Indian Classical Music’ for the 20th anniversary issue of ‘Sandesh’ (a SPIC MACAY newsletter) which was published in January 2015.
- Bharat Ratna to Pt. Bhimsen Joshi (article in ‘Sandesh’- SPIC MACAY newsletter published in May 2009).
- Discover your roots, Help them grow!( Unpublished)
Concerts and Accolades
Concerts in India
Performed in more than 300 concerts, in 30 cities in India. The significant concerts are:
- P L Deshpande academy, State Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai
- Yashwantrao Chavan Cultural Centre, Mumbai
- Swaraved, Nagpur, supported by South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Ministry of Culture
- Khalwayan, Ratnagiri
- Sangvi Sangeet Mahotsav, Pune
Performed in more than 15 concerts in 10 cities abroad. The significant concerts are:
- Nehru Centre, London
- Maharashtra Mandal London, London
- Tara Arts, London
- Oxford University, Oxford
- Music Circle, Birmingham
- SPIC MACAY, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Royal Oak International festival
- Hope college, Michigan
- Ann Arbor Marathi Mandal
Awards and achievements
- Felicitation for outstanding personality by the mayor of Pune,
Mrs. Mukta Tilak in Pune Municipal Corporation on 26th January 2018.
- Junior Fellowship by CCRT, Ministry of Culture, 2017.
- Peace Ambassador 2008, Lila Poonawalla foundation and Asha foundation. Award was presented in the hands of former President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Graded light music artist, Akashwani Pune
- Best Singer 2001-2002, Firodiya Trust
- Best singer 2011, Punyabhoomi Pratishthan
Kasturi comes from an art loving family. Her father is a businessman and mother is a house wife and both of them have always loved all sorts of arts. Listening to the music records and live concerts of musicians has been a regular feature in the family since many years.This practice nurtured the qualities in Kasturi and her parents encouraged her to start learning music during her school days.She started the basics of music with Mrs.Sushama Thite in Pune. As a student of Jnana Prabodhini Prashala she got a lot of encouragement and exposure for her music due to the cultural inclination and ethos of the school.She then started learning from Mrs.Neelam Joshi and finished her Visharad from Ms.Neeta Bhabhe with distinction.She participated in many competitions and won prizes while she did her Junior college from Garware college. While she was doing her Bachelors in English literature from Fergusson college, she had an unique opportunity to learn from Smt.Veena Sahasrabuddhe. She then went on to do Masters in Music from Lalit Kala Kendra,University of Pune under the able guidance of Smt.Arati Ankalikar-Tikekar.While doing Masters she was awarded the Lila Poonawalla Foundation scholarship for doing further studies in music.
After finishing the masters, she started performing in and around Pune.She got an opportunity to tour the UK twice for her concerts and she performed in different cities like London, Birmingham, Oxford, Gloustershire etc.
Her first album ‘Mi Premika’ was released in July 2011 in the hands of her guru Smt.Arati Ankalikar-Tikekar, noted music director Anand Modak and Padmashri Lila Poonawalla in Pune. It is produced by Akaanksha creations and the songs are written and composed by Abhijit Kumbhar. It has been much appreciated amongst the music lovers in Maharashtra and also the United States.
Kasturi is currently pursuing her PhD in music from the University of Pune.